The history of insurance in Turkey dates back to 1870’s. In those years, insurance transactions and services were mainly carried out by foreign insurance companies. In 1900, insurance companies operating in Turkey decided to come together under the umbrella of a “professional organization” and established the “Insurers Syndicate of Turkey”, which had 81 members, all of them being foreign companies.
After the proclamation of the Republic in Turkey in 1923, this Society was abolished and “The Club of Insurers” was established in 1924, which then took the name “Central Office of Insurers”. In 1952, some of the member of the Office established “The Association of the Insurance Companies of Turkey”. On the same date, Central Office of Insurers took the name “Office of Insurers of Turkey”. In 1954, both organizations merged under the name “Association of the Insurance and Reinsurance Companies of Turkey”. In 1975, the Association adopted the name “The Association of the Insurance and Reinsurance Companies of Turkey”.
The pension companies were organized under the roof of the Association with the amendment made in the Insurance Law No: 5684 on 29 June 2012 . Following the amendment, the official name of the Association was changed to “Association of the Insurance, Reinsurance and Pension Companies of Turkey.”
Within the context of the Insurance Law No:5684, the Association is a legal entity established for the development of the insurance profession, empowerment of solidarity among insurance and pension companies and elimination of unfair competition among members.